Friday, September 12, 2008

Thinking about the Brain

Yesterday, in a philosophy class, we began talking about the brain and recent research about how neurons develop around our perception of reality. We worked through a couple of illusions: the rabbit and duck conundrum and the old lady/young lady juxtaposition which reminded me of a painting I shared with seventh graders this summer to explain that every one event has multiple interpretations. If one can perceive an object in one way, and then another can perceive it in another way, and even some can perceive it both ways, while there are those that can't "see" it at all, whose claim is more valid? This practice becomes trickier, I suppose, when a particular set of knowledge claims are being made about how kids learn best or what structure will create the most productivity for any one corporation. Although researchers get closer to finding an answer, no answer is absolute. I find all this fascinating, especially since expertise and novice markers are placed on some having superior abilities to see over others in an academic setting. For me, it makes me happy to know that their are multiple perspectives and everyone is allowed to make their claim. I remarked to a classmate that I have always loved teaching, but have yet to feel comfortable with the idea of professing what I know. Ah, but a smile comes from my trying, I suppose.

1 comment:

Kathie Maniaci said...

What the heck are you doing up at 3 AM?? Oh...wait...I know. Anyway, you should check out this video that we watched in James' visual culture class...it will be back at Bird Library after we return it! Anyway, it's a video of a lecture by Stuart Hall and...my brain is too tired to try to explain it. You'll have to watch it...or I can send you my notes when I finish them!