Sunday, September 28, 2008

Some things Never change.

On a rainy, gray and sleepy day, my sisters and I all met at Elderwood homes to visit my lame mother (not that she's lame, but she's in repair from knee surgery). It isn't easy for my sisters and I to be together in unusual situations because they put words in my mouth and interpret my behavior in all the wrong ways. Then they start laughing and get mad at me AS IF I'm the bad guy. 

This has always happened. During funerals, weddings, or even strolling the mall, an unusual set of circumstances will arise and they look at me for my reaction and immediately start laughing. Actually, they begin crying and then get angry with me for my "inappropriate" etiquette in such situations.

Yesterday, lame duck mom was all peg-legged in her wheel chair and going on and on about the ruben sandwich she was ordering for dinner when an elderly man was wheeled outside the door who apparently was humming a broadway tune from the gargling of his throat and the neurological synapses of his past. The music was non-distinguishable, but the singing sounded as if he was a drowning frog becoming lyrical through a straw underwater. Sitting at our table I simply said, "Listen." I wanted to name that tune.

Nope. Wouldn't happen. Not only did Cynde and Casey start laughing, but Nikki began crying, which set me to giggling, too. When I see people laughing I start laughing and I never know what I'm laughing about. Here was this poor man in a wheelchair reminiscing to some melody of his past when my sisters start laughing because they think I'm laughing at him, but I'm not. Mom gets mad, I'm made to feel guilty and Sean asks Dave he can "kick Mimi's boo boo."

It's so strange how such laughter comes from absolutely nowhere ~ Rena's growling stomach during a funeral service is a good example. I guess it's just good to laugh when we can, because chances are, we don't laugh enough.

No comments: