Saturday, September 13, 2008

Hope

My cousin Mark is an amazing human being. Knowing the world as he does, he has given his life to the work of HOOPS4HOPE and bringing opportunity to youth of southern Africa and Zimbabwe. It has made me proud to know him and to witness the incredible perseverance and hard work of sharing America's abundance with populations that face struggles unimaginable to my growing mind.

Last night, Mark came to Syracuse and took me with him to the premiere of THE EXPRESS starring Dennis Quaid and written by Charles Leavitt. The role of Ernie Davis was played by Rob Brown and the direction of Gary Fleder is something to make every 'Cuse fan proud. The city of Syracuse should be impressed by the historical accomplishments this story reveals. Coach Ben Schwartzwalder led the orangemen during a time of racial unrest in our history and meeting his granddaughter and great grandson, yesterday, allowed me an opportunity to see how real the landscape of one lifetime can be. I will remember, always, the way the cinematic light glowed on the face of Syracuse Graduate, Bob Costas, who sat kitty corner from me and I will hear the applause of youth as the role model of Ernie Davis was revealed. He pushed forward in a time where history wanted to hold him back, and I see this film as inspiration for fighting forward to make America the democracy it has always built itself to be.

Attending the after party with my cousin and introducing him to Syracuse faculty who are guiding my path felt right because I admire his goals and dreams. Although it rained yesterday, this movie cleared the skies, and in the words of Dennis Quaid, Ernie Davis's story is of hope to do what is right and good. This is what we should all be working towards.

No comments: