Monday, September 8, 2008

Bunraku and you


Meeting with Newton in NYC reminded me of my short time in Tokyo, Japan, where I attended an exhibit for traditional Japanese Puppet Theater. Emily, graduating from an innovational theater program in Northern California has landed a nine month gig with Banruku puppetry where she and another fellow are running a show about a tiny prince. Emily was saying that she has to be strategic during one scene because she often holds a cucumber prop above her head which apparently gets in the way of one male puppet. If she doesn't hold the prop just right, it can result in very embarrassing images. Knowing her personality, I imagine her humor with such an occurrence could be remarkable and a source for great audience amusement. Pictured here are images of Bunraku, but also of Emily during a performance last Fall in California. Ah, life is improv and the theatrics are in the everyday. Drinking a coffee with Ms. Newton in some random cafe near Broadway made my NYC weekend extra special. Even more amusing were her tails of the theatrical events to come, including the Girkin and the Prince. I wish her luck.

No comments: