Sunday, August 31, 2008

We are what We are

Oprah Winfrey and Bill Gates both live extraordinary lives but depart on their success at one major crossroads. Oprah feels that her destiny is in her control and that she makes the world she knows what it is. Bill Gates feels his fortune is luck and coincidence. I mention this, because I'm both fortunate and hard working so a little of my happiness comes from both drive and pure coincidence. I think about this because tonight Tricia and I had a conversation like many others where we try to solve the world's problems, while recognizing that chaos is also in the equation. There's something truly unique, however, to our generation of the human species that at least in 2008, one can google the cosmos and instantly get an image that represents all we know and don't know. The bigger picture definitely belongs to something larger than our humanity and the curse of being us is that we can never truly understand the truths for what it actually is. Instead, we're given mortal fears, worries, accomplishments, quests and journeys. I try to be content with this and draw happiness from having hypothetical guesses that are grounded with little validity. I find a calm in knowing that the bigger picture for everything is something I'll never be able to comprehend nor understand.

No comments: