Monday, August 25, 2008

Two More Summer Reads for a Summer That is Almost Over


Knowing that today I return to the SU grind, I forced myself to read the last two books on my pile before the sunrise hit. The first, THE TIGER RISING, was a fast read and somewhat clever.  I actually enjoyed the little tail that Kate DiCamillo weaved together.  It is a good read for middle schoolers.  The second, A Wolf at the Table by Augusten Burroughs, is a continuation of his memoirs on a not so normal childhood.  This time he focuses on his father -- the silent character of previous tales.  There was more darkness to this story and it seems to go beyond the deranged and odd as a coping mechanism.  Here, wit is replaced with dry truth.  One book, fiction, the other, non-fiction, has me loving great writers still.  That's what it is about -- finding chapters that keep my attention.  Of course, now I go back to academic reading, but I will survive.  

No comments: