Saturday, August 23, 2008

My Last Day of Liberty Partnerships Program

Yesterday was my last day working with 7th and 8th graders from Syracuse City School District for the LPP Summer Program. The woman I taught with captured our events through pictures and I uploaded her photos.  I made a quick film from them. Working with these middle schoolers is what I've been up to the last few weeks, and her photographs tell the whole story. They were good kids and gave me an opportunity to work with a different period of adolescence than I'm used to.  In many ways, they humbled me, but also made me see the importance of investing patience.  Their prefrontal cortexes are only beginning the journey towards rationality, and working with them, I saw moments when they were sponges and moments when they wanted me dead.  I feel enlightened to the American concept of "tweens."

No comments: