Monday, August 18, 2008

Sunday Comics


A man can pace himself by what he reads on Sunday mornings.  Growing up, I looked forward to the comics, most, until I grew to appreciate the other sections of the newspaper:  editorials, feature articles, Metro, National news, etc..  I'm sort of sad for today's youth because a) they don't have Calvin & Hobbs every Sunday and b) they don't have Gary Larson's The Far Side.  In my classroom of Kentucky, I wallpapered one wall with as many Gary Larson cartoons as I could.  The man is truly a genius and I'd be happy to see him come out of retirement and begin scribbling again.  Either this, or I'd love to see a new comic take on our world with such intelligence, humor, genius and clever wit.  It is good to know, though, that Larson's work continues on calendars, in books and even on the web.  Thinking about him while thumbing through the comic books yesterday, disappointed, I longed for the days where Sunday brought me a profound laugh.  It is good to be alive at the same time as such a brilliant artist.

No comments: