Friday, August 15, 2008

Traveling with the Bastardmobile

My first year teaching I ordered the 1998 Best American Short Stories text to use with my seniors. For the next ten years I taught from this text when doing a short story unit and in it are a couple of my favorite stories ever. It's funny to reflect on this now that I don't have a classroom anymore, knowing the ritual of going through the stories with high school seniors is no longer. In some ways, the stories became a part of the atmosphere of my classroom and is something we all felt and lived together -- especially since some of the stories are superb. I was discussing "Welding With Children" by Tim Gatreaux with Tiana French, a librarian, when she said she found it online. I immediately found it myself so I could put a link to it on today's moment of happiness. I'm sure most don't read short stories online, but I highly recommend this one at some point in your day and/or life. I think of this story as a gift to the world. I always taught my students, "when you write a story like this, you've made it."  The story can be reached by clicking the title to get there.

No comments: