Saturday, August 30, 2008

New York State Af-Fair

In Syracuse, I live at the home of the New York State Fair. The same is true in Louisville, Kentucky. I suppose I was destined to be surrounded by the temptation of Fried Dough at least once a year for my entire life. The odd thing is that although states away, the only difference between the fairs are the license plates in the parking lot. Without a doubt, the State Fairs are a people-watching sort of event and I suppose I get overwhelmed trying to understand the lives of so many people who attend. I did get to witness Sean Spenser on his first Merry-Go-Round while Nikki was at the Jonas Brother concert -- a cacophony of screaming middle school girls with braces that could be heard over the midway, drunks and mooing cows. And I did get to buy Maple Sugar candy for the pops. Even if I did verbalize that there is no hope for humanity while scanning the masses, I know from the way children and adults held the baby chicks that it isn't all that bad. Where else does a congregation of such an eclectic crowd get to meet?

No comments: