Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Finally, Shiloh


For years, I saw a copy of Phyllis Reynolds Naylor's middle school book, SHILOH, on library shelves, but I never picked it up. I have been in love with Bobbie Anne Mason's short story by the same name and also grew fond of the idea of SHILOH after receiving history lessons from Alice Stevenson on the Civil War. But, finally, SHILOH crossed my path and I read it. I was worried because it has a cover of a beagle pup on the front and I expected the worst. In truth, it is a hopeful story and totally full of an 11 year old's way of seeing the world. The cover says its a classic story of a boy and his dog, and so today I read it for Baby, Juliette, Dusty, Tizzy, Mokie, Jake, Zoie, Rocky, Chip and all canines of the world. And I didn't cry. Instead, I am calling it a happy read.

No comments: