Friday, August 8, 2008

A Triple Post

Three things made me happy yesterday. The first was reading RIFKA by Karen Hesse (from OUT OF THE DUST claim to fame). The second was finding the most bizarre mushroom in my front yard and after channeling my inner mycologist, I've decided it is a Mutinus elegans and the final is a fast read of "The Friendship" by Mildred Taylor. As a short read, I didn't expect the intense punch of its story. So, I guess one might say that today's post has me shrooming high on two great books. I am impressed by the middle school texts I've picked up to peruse and go back to the saying, "If you can't teach it to a sixth grader, why bother teaching it?" The goal for all educators should be to make knowledge accessible, including critical thinking skills, to students of every age.

No comments: