Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Sunny Day in August, The Cable Guy, and Traditions



I headed to my folks yesterday afternoon because dad's filter went on his pool and he needed my assistance. It was a sunny, cloudless day and knowing it is already August I came over early tapping into the sun that will soon disappear as winter rounds its head again. After a great shell and sauce dinner (thanks BALLS), the Central New York cable guy walked out back and sold his wears to my folks. See, they changed to satellite dish and have complained about it ever since. Now, knowing my mom's history with service people (in particular beating up the paper girl during our high school years for billing us in sporadic intervals) I highly enjoyed the Cable Guy's visit because it was classic Crandall. He stayed out back while we ate, drank sodas and visited long after his shift ended all to talk politics with my father who kept showing him his new pool filter and the wires that lead up to his satellite dish. Only can Butch and Sue keep a Time Warner, News 10, Road Runner salesman entertained for as long as they did. It was beautiful, and I'm sure he left thinking, "man, I'd be so happy if I lived in a neighborhood with people like this." In fact, at one point, I think he asked if my parent's house was for sale. Unbelievable.

No comments: