Sunday, August 10, 2008

Laughing at myself and my Muppet History

I grew up as the first generation of HBO viewers. In my youth, the Muppets put out Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas and it was a mile marker for my holiday season. As summer ends and we begin thinking about the season's changing, I find myself singing songs from this precious story. I like to think of this half hour special as a piece of my history and chuckle that I used to share the VHS video with my students as we headed towards winter. In particular, I loved the harmonzing that occurs at the end, before they get a job at the Toad Mayor's restaurant. To me, Emmet and his mother encompass the spirit of looking out for others and being genuine. Every time I think of this seasonal special I get happy. Why shouldn't I?

No comments: