Thursday, August 14, 2008

Kickball and youth


Yesterday, I played kickball for the first time in years. I was working with Liberty Partnerships Program and we brought the kids to one of Syracuse University's gyms. Matt, an art teacher, kicked the ball so hard it flew over the curtain that divided our half of the gym with a workout room and we envisioned a man on a treadmill running and getting whacked upside the head as he had a nice cardiovascular jog.

There is something absolutely pure about young people at play. They are enthusiastic, hyper, excited and over ambitious with their every move. The facial expressions move from pure joy to absolute terror as a ball is kicked their way and sometimes their bodies work about ten paces ahead of their minds. It seems to me every adult can learn from dipping back into their childhood to run around and play. Indeed, I feel the more seasoned of our species could use such recreation.

1 comment:

Kathie Maniaci said...

Post part II:

Freaky...I saw Matt walking with some handsome LPP young men as I was going to lunch at Schine this past week. Matt is a fantastic guy, I'm glad you got to work with him. I can't believe we missed each other again!