Thursday, March 13, 2008

Hot Dog, the Sudanese Rapper from Canada


Working with the Syracuse Sudanese men yesterday on creating their own website, they turned me onto a Canadian Rapper named, Mijok Lang, a.k.a. "Hot Dog" (the only Western food he knew how to eat when he arrived). He has his MYSPACE site running his music and I was able to find a YOUTUBE video, too.

I post this this morning because the irony of a shrinking global village amazes me. Here are African refugees showing me YOUTUBE videos and creating websites to discuss their Americanization process, while juggling full time jobs, full time school, and sending money to their families in both Kakuma and Nairobi.

As I used to tell my students, knowing the Sudanese lost boy story is to know everything wonderful and horrible about America. My work with their culture keeps everything in perspective. I'm happy I've been inducted into such familiarity.

Check out Dominic's new blog: The Dinka Daily!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I log on to your new stuff like every week.

Your story-telling style is witty, keep up the good work!


Here is my blog studiolinkedvst@gmail.com