Saturday, March 8, 2008

Happiness comes from Coincidence


Ted Grace was a professor at Syracuse University in Reading and Language Arts before I arrived. Tonight, he was honored at Corcoran High School where a reading grove was celebrated in his honor. His wife, Jacquelyn, and several other story tellers animated his memory through tales and performance to pay respect for this amazing man who brought literacy to the community and a community to literacy. The weather was harsh, but travel was worth the celebration.

While talking to Ted Grace's wife, I told her a little bit about my work in Louisville and began talking about a man's poetry I used to teach. I was animated about Omanii Abdullah's collection, I Wanna Be The Kind of Father My Mother Was and told her about the success I had teaching it to students of yesteryear. I'm unsure why this entered the conversation, but Jacquelyn said, "You're not going to believe this, but Omanii is my brother-in-law and he's here tonight." The next thing I knew I was shaking his hand.



There is a complicated coincidence in how life presents itself and I am honored that tonight I attended this truly amazing event, but more importantly, I witnessed words I truly believe in. The fact that I was introduced to Omanii Abdullah, himself, was icing on the already delicious cake being served.

I am blessed.

No comments: