Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Improv4Happiness


Last year, Brown School students presented with me at the Louisville Writing Project winter conference. In particular, members of Improv4Hope, spoken word artist, Michael Turner, and funny bones, Emily Newton, showcased their talents. All the performers added much happiness to 2007 and today, in 2008, I am recalling their debut at the University of Louisville.

It was pouring that morning. Margee Luken had her mother's car and became lost on campus.  Trying to find her way, she hit a parked car (with a man sleeping in it). It was not a happy time for her, so when she finally arrived what did she and the group do? They made the incident into a musical and performed it for the audience of writers and teachers.

Here are a couple scenes from the conference with some traditional warm-ups. Everyone deserves improv in their life. The "quarterbacks" taught me this during my last year at Brown and whenever I think of them I grow proud and happy.

No comments: