Thursday, January 24, 2008

"The How of Happiness" by Sonja Lyubormirsky


So, I'm running my fingers along this weeks NEWSWEEK (which is a ritual that I enjoy) when I come across an article called "The 'How To' of Leading a Happy Life" on their Psychology/Tip Sheet page. The article was written by Jennifer Barrett (p. 60) and I thought, hmmm, reading about the psychology of being happy makes me happy, too. So, here's a debriefing of what I learned:

*an outlook on life is not genetic, even if depression, mania, etc. might be.

*Sojna Lyubormirsky of the University of California, Riverside, suggests that 40% of our happiness IS within our control (but that leaves 60% out of it!!! Well, 50%, she allows 10% for circumstance.)

*Lyubormirsky proved that individuals who commit random acts of kindness, send letters of gratitude or keep positive journals about the world for more than six weeks did have increased happiness levels.

*She suggests not over-thinking and stewing on matters that are bringing you down. Instead, say, STOP, and allow only a brief period each day to "stew" over things (designate a time). Otherwise, move on. She suggests learning coping skills...write them down and keep track of how you overcome pessimistic thoughts. She also recommends savoring ordinary experiences (ha ha ha, my blog?) and finally she writes one should cultivate optimism.

Recent brain studies are showing that the brain can be altered. Now, you have to understand, too, that I'm not necessarily a fan of true happiness...I mean, I think GODZILLA MEETS BAMBI is hysterical, accurate and true to life's cause. Yet, while we have life, I am interested in laughing --- so, now I wonder, is a sick sense of humor a bad thing if it makes one happy?

No comments: