Sunday, January 13, 2008

cbs-sunday mornings and AARP happiness


cbs-sunday
Originally uploaded by bripc
I think it was near my thirty-second birthday when I stopped sleeping until noon on Sundays and/or broke the tradition of strong coffee and great bagels at Nancy's in Louisville. I replaced these days of rest with a pre-mature negotiation of easy news with Charles Osgood.

On Sunday mornings, I begin my day watching CBS News Sunday Morning because it treats me like a geriatric gerbil who needs a calm, slow deliverance of global reality. Best of all, however, they end the program in anticipation of the work-week ahead by offering a nature scene of ducks, prairie dogs or whales, simply being ducks, prairie dogs or whales in their natural setting and sounds. A wind rustles against the microphone and all the horrid details of war, crime and getting old is traded for National Geographic scenery of a non-human world.

It's beautiful and good for the soul. CBS News Sunday Morning's theme song hovers in my mind for the next seven days until, once again, I will find myself on a Sunday morning dreaming the life of a retired American.

No comments: