Sunday, January 20, 2008

Happiness comes from Musical geniuses



I'm a musical quitter. I tried my hands at the piano, but quit. I picked up a trumpet and attempted to become Louie Armstrong, yet quit, and my family knows how short-lived my singing career has been: they have videos and audio to remind me of how un-American idoled I am. I wish I could sing. I can't.

Even so, I love music.

As corny as this may sound, my exposure to some of the "great works" was because my sister, Cynde, was in colorguard for the CNS Northstars. Because of that, I learned titles of some music as bands played on the field. I didn't grow appreciative of classical music until the last few years. Scanning my truck's radio, I started to hit "pause" on radio stations that threw instrumentals my way.

This is why Jon Powers, class of two g's and a dollar (2001), makes me happy. In the mail, yesterday, I received a collection of classical music burned on cd's for my musical education. Each CD arrived with notes about what I'm hearing and I now have a new course to take this semester: Beethoven, Bach and how such musicians title their work.

My mother plays the piano and organ, passionately. My dad's gift of an electric synthesizer for her birthday has sparked a rebirth in her fingers. I did not inherit such talent (although, I've often referred to the computer keyboard as a place I love to dance with my phalanges -- grown content that music can be made there, too).

The classics are CLASSICS for a reason. Such life-work keeps me in awe. I listen to learn and learn to listen. Happiness comes from sound, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the poem for S.I., just didn't realize it was an arcostic poem, mainly because I didn't know what acrostic meant. Sorry, still learning! :-)

Anonymous said...

Also, love the Cat Stevens videos!!!