Sunday, January 6, 2008

Found In Syracuse


Found In Syracuse
Originally uploaded by bripc
As Americans, we sometimes fail to realize how our lives are drastically different from the global realities of severe poverty, violence and uprooted survival. We simply change the channel, select a different song on our IPods and/or head off to the gym or mall. That is why I've cherished my work in Louisville with the Sudanese community and why today I find happiness from Felicia R. McMahon's book, NOT JUST CHILD'S PLAY; EMERGING TRADITION AND THE LOST BOYS OF SUDAN. Her understanding of the Dinka and DiDinga arrives from a playful approach of song and dance. Yesterday, she and several of the men she works with participated in a book signing at Barnes and Noble in Fayetteville, New York. The music, the laughter and the enthusiasm for life was captured in every minute of their presentation. These DiDinga men were appreciative of their American community and brought to the audience a more complicated understanding of what it means to have life in our powerful nation. They bring immense perspective to my life and the worries, frustrations and complaints I have. Their story helps me to realize how fortunate I really am.

1 comment:

Morgan said...

I know this is your personal blog, but i think it would be cool if you let people join your blog so they could post something that makes them happy too. or you could just have a lot of comments...
here's something that makes me happy: expulsion of creativity (ridding of creative constipation, if you will)