Friday, February 8, 2008

Twiggley Smiles and The First Book to ever make me HAPPY.


I had many rituals when I visited my grandmother's house. One was to read several books she had lying around over and over again. Miss Twiggley's Tree by Dorethea Warren Fox was my favorite. It's about an eccentric woman who lives in a tree house with her dog and bears. She's the town whack-job and a source for their giggles and gossip. That is.....until it rains.

The book was reissued a few years ago and I bought my sisters and favorite libraries copies (this was during a period in my life when I made money and could spend it). Every time I revisit the MISS TWIGGLEY'S TREE I smile. I didn't realize my taste for oddity was something I developed at a very young age. It's a quirky, little book and I'm proud to know it.

Now, if I only could pull my ranch house into a tree and lure "me" some bears. It seems like a great life to me.

No comments: