Friday, February 22, 2008

good ol' Emerson motto


My morning began with shoveling snow. Baby, who assisted me by following my every step on the driveway, then decided she didn't want to come inside. Instead, she took off in a slow trot. As I approached her, she ran further. This game took place for almost a mile and a half before we were both running. When I finally got her to stop and could leash her, I had to walk her home. I did this with optimism (and a t-shirt w/ sweats -- I was cold). When I got to my house, I slammed the door to let her know I was mad. I heard a bang behind me and noticed it was my "Emerson" plaque that Kirsten Perra gave me when I first moved to Louisville. It fell to the floor and I took it as a symbol that I needed to pay attention to.

Life is suffering. That is a Buddhist belief. Yet, we can approach life through a philosophy of happiness. That is a choice. It's hard at times and I don't like my angry self. Ah, but to know anger, is to appreciate the peace that much more.

No comments: