Monday, February 11, 2008

Because Emily Newton IS the ESSENCE of Happiness


Last night, I was trying to cut a thirty page paper down to fifteen, while reading a feminist history of the prom, when my phone rang. The wind chill is expected to be 17 below zero, and even with my fire blazing, it's chilly.

It was Emily Newton from "clown school" out west. She was a graduate from 2007 and a member of Improv 4 Quarterbacks. Emily needed a HUGE favor because she's assigned the task to sing in front of others and she is terrified. She claims an inability with her voice, but my perspective is that not all songs can capture her personality. Emily sang me a bluegrass-esque song about black lungs, a tune which very easily could be a part of "Oh, Brother Where Art Thou." It was wonderful to hear her voice again, but especially to hear her SING. She asked, "Do you think it could be a sound track for a melodrama?" And I answered, "Your song could be the backdrop to my life's movie."

Emily's college promotes physical comedies, community writing, and colorful performances. Above is a photo Emily sent me last Fall from a festival of spirits where she was an owl.

I am so lucky to have had her call.

1 comment:

Morgan said...

Hey Bryan. I'm glad you're keeping this up. I'm proud of you. And also sorry that I'm not so dedicated. Thanks for all the comments. I always look forward to them. Hope all is well and stay happy!