Monday, May 19, 2008

self portraits

I'm a fan of stopping every once in a while and thinking about a good self portrait. I have been thinking about this one since I began at SU, and now that I'm taking creative art theory (starting tonight) I opted to jump the gun and create an image to get my brain thinking. What I've read thus far for the class is very complicated language explaining how artistic expression is not celebrated at the University over research paradigms, but it, like the research paradigm, uses the esoteric language of academics to explain itself. It is fighting elitism by being elite. Phooie. If it can't be explained to a sixth grader, it isn't worth wasting the vocabulary. Scholars will never make sense to me. I struggle to find comfort in the box they allow for my thinking. I messed up the arms, but then realized one can interpret it as "my arms are trapped inside". That will suffice. One of these days, I will create a performance art piece of this image and I will post that, too. Consider this a rough draft.

No comments: