Sunday, May 18, 2008

For the Class of 2008


For several years, this is the time of year where I write my final goodbyes to a senior class: we return from Florida, we do Senior Awards, Paperwork is filed, and then there's graduation. To say that I'm not a part of that this year is surreal. I left St. Augustine last night and said goodbye, once again, to the class of 2008. As Margee and Suzannah coined, "It's '08, A'ight" and that has been the motto ever since.

Being 48 hours with the kids on the beach was rejuvenating and seeing them again sparks so much hope for the future. There is only one Brown School and only one place I've ever found where a diverse group of kids get along as family. Yesterday, while playing Scrabble, several kids swam, one calculated math problems, another played with his stuffed animal fish, and many others entertained Molly, Carrie's little girl. What's amazing is all the kids come from unique backgrounds, including Logan, who wore a Celtic skirt all weekend and a Speedo underneath....oh, those Irish, punk, Greg Louganis roots! At this time, next week, they will all be graduates and move on to their lives. I'm sure they're ready. Meanwhile, Alice and the others will have to prepared to do it all again. As I noted to Alice, "Man, we keep getting older and all these kids remain the same age." Even so, Brown kids are Brown kids and being with them is always amazing. So, what makes me happy? The Class of '08. My best to them.

No comments: