Sunday, May 11, 2008

Prom, It's oh-eight, a'ight

This is the first year, in a very long time, I won't be attending high school prom.  Instead, this year, I went out for Mexican with my younger sister and her husband.  Meanwhile, last night, the J. Graham Brown School had its annual promenade at the Water Tower and my tuxedo got to hang in the closet, again not dry cleaned, and the ritual of buying a nice tuxedo tie and pair of shiny shoes (only to return them the day after prom---keeping the receipts) is no longer.  

I often complained that the prom was what I hated the most about teaching, but in truth it was par for the educational course and always an excellent evening of seeing the students dressed in their best.  Of course, Alice and I were always exhausted at this point in the year and we attended the dance as chaperones, sponsors and dedicated teachers.  Pictured above are the Brown School beauties:  Alice, Carrie and Lauri, with a pimp-wanna-be.

I hope last night's prom was a true success and that, in the tradition of Brown School diversity, it was as it always is -- unpredictable.  Here's to the class of 2008's happiness and celebration of their year.

No comments: