Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Can you tell I'm in an Art Theory class?

I heard the artists in my class discuss a man named Ken Burns. I looked him up. I saw his work. I learned he no longer creates with his hands, but finds work that already is created and places them in context of one another for new meaning. This piece is called "By Design." I have my interpretation, and from it, I could put the graduate on receipts from Walmart or Valvoline oil changes. This graduate can be in an office that overlooks the laboring construction workers paving roads below. This graduate can send his secretary to a McDonald's drive through, or have his wife's hair braided in Barbados. This graduate sits front row at NCAA basketball games and leaves before employees clean it up. Yes, I'm intrigued by what this piece of art says. Theoretically, it is making sense.

No comments: