Friday, May 9, 2008

Everything is Illuminated

I spent yesterday reading Jonathan Safran Foer's EVERYTHING IS ILLUMINATED.  I was given this book as a gift upon leaving Kentucky, but only found yesterday to open it up.  Besides a run, a walk, and a small cookout of Hoffman hotdogs for my dog and me, I sat on my couch and read. Reading this, however, was more an adventure in excellent writing, imagination, and history according to my generation who has been somewhat detached from World Wars, amazing atrocities and the way the past intertwines with the present.  I guess I can admit that I was illuminated, if only for a brief period of time.  I'm not sure, quite yet, what I will take from this experience, but imagine it will have much to do with the dog, Sammy Davis Junior, Jr. and his presence to the whole narrative. Actually, everything designed for the car ride of ancestry, especially a blind grandfather at the wheel, will resonate on my impulse to make sense of one lifetime.  This entry is for Jonathan Safran Foer who lived(s) by the pen and tries to find meaning through story like so many of us do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This might be my favorite book. I know that my favorite chapter out of any I've read was in there. The one about Brod growing up. Brilliant.