Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Jazz

After discussing arts-based theory tonight, I mentioned that I seldom see educators make jazz out of their profession, but instead see them marching to the tune of the same ol' drummers and/or following them same text-sets of many generations before. I think it is sad that some teachers don't know their content and field enough to syncopate knowledge as they meet new students and colleagues. Shaking things up and mixing the notes has always made for the best music. This idea made me think better of Jazz as a genre, and like spoken word poetry, one has to know the basics of language and rhyme to create new linguistic codes for expression. Today I'm happy about the possibility of making new music as a student and teacher. Shouldn't that be what it's all about anyway?

No comments: