Tuesday, May 27, 2008

ABER DABBER DOO


I was immersed all day yesterday in Arts-Based Educational Research methodology (ABER). In a nutshell, the way ABER works is that it celebrates and includes the arts: poetry, story, drawing, music, theater, etc. as a part of the research process and doesn't rely on the traditional academic modes of thinking, alone. There is research, true, but the boundaries are challenged (which is what I like). I scanned a lot of pieces from my journals, but then decided that the piece that Erin Lobb did in her senior year as a poetic piece of art, sums up why I like the combination of visual and words. How else do we divide what is a semiotic and what isn't? The idea of it all makes me happy (and I'm pretty drained at this point from reading and thinking about it all).

No comments: