Monday, April 21, 2008

Sherman Alexie's Writing


I feel it is fitting to celebrate Sherman Alexie after spending almost a year on writing about his latest novel. Winner of the 2007 National Book Award, I picked up The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian the day it came out. I read it and instantly made connections to a class I was taking (the truth is, I procrastinated work in that class to read this book, so I decided to double dip). A semester later, the paper I wrote is now being edited for a possible publication.

I think it is safe to declare that I'd much rather be a writer like Sherman Alexie than a writer like I'm currently being trained to become that analyzes Sherman Alexie. See, at the University, what came first, the chicken or the egg, doesn't matter. Instead, it is how many citations and references you can place in your bibliography to argue which came first, the chicken or the egg, that matters most.

Regardless, this is a great book. Alexie is a great writer. Here is a clip of his acceptance to the award. It's almost nine minutes, so it's understandable you'll go on to bigger and better things.

No comments: