Monday, April 14, 2008

An Email from an ol' Student teacher:


Mark Every, who student taught juniors of the Class of 2006, contacted me with his whereabouts in Nashville and the educational road that brought him to his current position. He wrote about the Brown School and how he was too young to realize the incredible relationships that were allowed to develop between a diverse student body and their teachers. He reports he now knows that developing strong relationships is the key to teaching. I couldn't agree more. He sent the above photograph which he is deconstructing for an essay he is writing about developing a positive learning environment for students. He asks individuals who see such a photograph to describe what they are seeing. For me, this picture brings back memories of a wonderful group of diverse learners who happened, by chance, to be grouped together for one English class. I thrive in an environment where perspectives can't be assumed and where differences become the bridge for learning. I think that is what my Brown experience promoted and I'm happy I was able to know such a place for as long as I did. Here's to a relaxed learning environment where the unique potential of every individual is encouraged and supported.

No comments: