Saturday, December 27, 2008

A Long Way Gone


One of my holiday goals was to finish Ishmael Beah's memoir A Long Way Gone which I accomplished late on Christmas night. It amazes me to read the journey of individuals from other parts of the world who grow up in circumstances quite oppositional to the way we live in America. I am more in awe of how individuals, such as this author, are able to overcome traumatic childhoods to find hope in their lives. If you haven't read this book, I highly recommend it. It is a text that will be on my mind for a long time. Telling the story of Sierre Leone, Ishmael Beah's story is rather miraculous and hard to comprehend. In relation to our American lives, it puts our complaints into perspective that we live in a world of comfort and ease compared to conflict in some African countries.

No comments: