Sunday, December 14, 2008

A bite of reality


In 1994, when I drove west to begin my Kentucky life, the movie Reality Bites with Ethan Hawke and Winona Ryder hit the big screen. I remember seeing it for the first time and thinking what a great title. Then I watched the movie and grew sad. I believe the film hit my generation in the gut as we entered the next phase of our life - the post-college life.

That was fourteen years ago, and it saddens me to think that this film, too, is a part of the past. I wonder, what is the wake up call for the new generations just inheriting the earth? Is it Juno? Has it been made yet? Either way, when art replicates life, I grow happy. Of course, the movie presents "reality t.v." through Ben Stiller's character and now life replicates art, huh? It's all fun.

PS: Notice the phones still have coil chords. PSS: Why do they speak Italian at the end?

No comments: