Thursday, July 10, 2008

NPR for BRC


I'm cheap. Anyone who has ever known me -- from the days of stashing money in a tin can under my bed to the days of eating one meal a day while living in London to today where I scrounge to make ends meet -- I like free things. Nothing is free, of course, but National Public Radio feigns to be (they need donations, but when I don't have money, I don't have to contribute). All you need is a radio.
Ah, but I don't have one except in my car. So? I am able to utilize an i-Pod.
While kids zone out teachers and parents in lyrics of sex, drugs and heartache, I download essays from NPR, in particular THIS AMERICAN LIFE which is become a t.v. series (or already is) -- see attached video. For me, though, while walking, running, mowing, etc. I listen to free programming. No, I don't contribute to them financially right now, to keep their free work going, but I did a lot when I was making cash. I will again one day, I'm sure.
Stories form THIS AMERICAN LIFE or debates from INTELLIGENCE SQUARED or laughter from WHATTA YA KNOW are so much a part of my repertoire for being that I almost forgot to recognize how happy the programs make me. If you aren't turned on to the comedy, good writing, or fascinating arguments these shows allow, then I say you are truly missing out. I don't align myself with the biased media of NPR, but I do love its love of stories and good programming. Not only that, but NPR is really easy to spell.

No comments: