Thursday, July 17, 2008

Dr. Truth

My sister, Cynde, and I were driving her kids home from the park when they started singing, "I kissed a girl and I liked it." They are in third and seventh grade. She and I began talking about our middle and junior high school years and wondered if we were more innocent at that age. Cynde said something about secretly listening to Dr. Ruth on her walkman very low at night -- 9:30 p.m.-- and I admitted I did, too. She taught us a lot and there's a generation of us 80s kids who learned a great deal from her German accent. Of course, it was also eerie to learn that your older sister shared some of the same perversion as you did in the room across the hall. That doesn't seem right. Either way, here's to Dr. Ruth and the happy teenagers she once taught.

No comments: