Sunday, July 6, 2008

Ah, an Exotic taste

I spent last night in the woods of Tully being entertained by a Latin scholar and an anthropologist. For dessert, we had Durian -- an asian fruit that comes from a hard, porcupine shell and surrounds the gigantic seeds. Once the seal of the seed sap is cut open, it is like a custard and I guess you can call it an acquired taste. I'm all about trying new things and find happiness in the exotic. Driving past Burger King on the way home, I thought, hmmm, to some people a Whopper is exotic. This is beautiful, indeed.

2 comments:

Murdoc said...

Doesn't Durian have a foul smell? I've never had it, but my dad's big into Asian cuisine, and I recall something about this big spiny fruit they call "Garbage Fruit." Acquired taste indeed.

Bryan Ripley Crandall said...

They thought it smelled like onion. I was too concerned with the texture in my mouth to worry about the smell.