Monday, July 28, 2008

The Art of Reflection

Cynderballs is heading to her twentieth, high school reunion, and as my older sister, I've enjoyed looking at her yearbook and seeing pictures of people I haven't thought about in twenty years. I had my memories of school, but seeing the experience through the way the class of 1988 made them, I found much more enjoyment -- especially trying to remember why I knew those people. Yesterday, KC pulled out her yearbook and I had a similar experience. It was during Sean's second birthday party, and I found myself looking at memories created after I had left the school and moved onto my collegiate life. As children, my sisters and I used to look at my parent's yearbooks and laughed at the way things used to be. Now, looking at our own keepsakes we can do the same. No one can prepare anyone for the power of reminiscing on the way life used to be. As Twain noted, "Youth is wasted on the young." Being young is so happy and beautiful.

No comments: