Thursday, August 28, 2008

Thirteen + Years ago


I was working at the Louisville Nature Center where a woman, Sue McV, stopped by to introduce herself. She was walking her dog, Harley, in the Beargrass Creek Nature Preserve and heard there was a student in need of a teaching placement. She invited me to go camping with incoming freshman and the rest was history. I student taught with Sue, leaned on Sue, learned from Sue, and grew by Sue always guiding my path - which she continues to do to this day.

Tonight, I worked with 15 soon-to-be English teachers the week before they go to their student teaching placement. They are nervous, excited, and overwhelmed by what is to come, and I can't help but think that I was there once, with Sue. I also cannot imagine that anyone could have as wonderful as a mentor, colleague and friend as I had. 99.9% of what I know as a teacher came from her and the mere thought of any of her wisdom makes me happy.

My father once said, "If you meet one good friend in life, you are lucky." In reflection, I realize I've been extremely lucky. Not only was a Sue in my life while growing up (thanks Mom), but I had a Sue in my life while continuing to grow up.

No comments: